What we do
SPECTRUM’s vision is to reduce morbidity and mortality associated with infectious diseases in Australia and our region.
There is a disproportionate burden of infectious diseases in impoverished areas, which persist because of weak health systems and infrastructure. SPECTRUM aims to reduce this burden using sustainable, participatory and model-driven approaches.
SPECTRUM CRE will:
- Produce needed evidence for infectious disease control using models and other quantitative tools.
- Undertake regional risk assessments for emerging diseases like Ebola and COVID-19.
- Frame a proportionate response in the Australian Health Management Pan for Pandemic Influence, including early impact assessment and strategic use of health system resources.
- Promote optimal scheduling of pertussis vaccines on the National Immunisation Program.
- Plan an effective response to the drug-resistant tuberculosis crisis in Daru, Papua New Guinea.
- Identify latent tuberculosis treatment as the most effective measure of tuberculosis control, including in low-income, high incidence countries, leading to international (WHO) policy change.